Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Happy hydrometer

I just tested a sample of the 10 gallons of Northern Brewer's Three-Hearted Ale that I brewed last month. It has now been in secondary for over two weeks. In the plastic fermenter is an ounce of Challenger pellets in a hop bag and another ounce of homegrown Chinook leaf hops. In the glass carboy is (also) a bag of Challenger, and an ounce of homegrown Cascade.

The gravity has plunged to about 1.008! Yesss! This again shows how a ho-hum (about 1.018 in this case) or disappointing gravity reading after a week in primary can change drastically in secondary.

Then I tested the sample in an equally important way. Oh wow. This stuff tastes great. And it is warm and flat. And there's a lot of cold, golden pints for warm mountain nights in those two containers.

Soon I will attack the project of renovating my new (used) chest freezer (thanks Mom) into a kegerator, possibly adding a collar so I don't have to drill holes in the metal.

No comments: